Arts / Design Careers
Arts and Design professionals are often employed in the marketing and advertising industries, and use software to create concepts and presentation approaches, establishing the graphic look and feel for any number of visual communications media, such as TV spots, presentations, packaging, merchandising, web sites, CD-ROMs, and other multimedia applications. A degree in design can also be an entryway into the fashion industry, where designers help create clothing and accessories, prepare design sketches, and select colors and fabrics.
Arts and Design professionals may work in a variety of fields, including:
- Marketing and advertising
- Interior design
- Commercial and industrial design
- Web design
- Computer gaming
Arts and Design professionals need a wide range of capabailities, including:
- Creativity and problem solving
- Ability to communicate ideas and concepts verbally as well as visually
- Creating designs within the overall strategy
- Knowledge of print, Internet and web requirements
- Knowledge of key industry software
Employment of graphic designers is expected to grow 10 percent, about as fast as average for all occupations from 2006 to 2016, as demand for graphic design continues to increase from advertisers, publishers, and computer design firms.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2008